Monday, July 09, 2007

Bodega Becomes Cabina!!!











Yes! I am delighted with the results. It has been frustrating, however, since almost every part of the construction process had to be done twice. Communication has been a problem - the building has cost me almost twice what it should have because my instructions were not understood or just plain ignored and I had to have so much work done over.




BUT~~ I have a studio, complete with bathroom with hot shower, hot water to the sinks, fully grounded electric and 220 for my dryer(/welder?? )



There are still issues to be addressed - like, the water runs AWAY from the drain in the shower, even though I specifically asked that this be avoided (I have seen it in several other gringo houses) - the shower head (Ducha) was raised after I asked for it to be left alone, ruining the entire back wall of the shower and now requires the installation of a shower enclosure or tile which I did not want, at least not yet.


Now the space is fully functional I can begin the construction of the tool and kitchen cabinets, get the construction mess cleaned up and do he finish trimming and painting.

Tile needs to be sealed, as a cheap paver block was used and does not clean up easily. I should have spotted this and insisted on glazed finish instead of cheap.



The main purpose of this job was to find out the pitfalls of construction before tackling the house.

I learned many things - No 1 of which is do not assume your instructions will be followed even if they are understood - if the builder decides his idea is better, he will ignore your wishes, so you better be there on site every step to avoid having to have it redone the way you want.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home